Author Topic: How to remove posts from the "News Reporter" filling up the "Recent Posts" list  (Read 8156 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
  • Marksman
  • NRA Certified Instructor & RSO
If you don't like the posts from our ever busy "News Reporter" filling up the front page "Recent Posts" list, there is something you can do about it!

Since the 'Recent Posts' feature only shows the most recent 10 posts, it tends to get drowned out by the news from the "News Reporter" as he likes to gather several news reports each time a few times a day.

A benefit of doing this is that it lets you see recent posts that were made from a 'live human' and not the automated news brought in from our "News Reporter" bot which tend to drown out the other posts.

Here's how to do it:

• 1) Go to your Profile (Use the [Profile] button in the top menu) and then select [Ignore Boards Options].
  • 2) Then place a check mark next to each of the News boards that you want to 'ignore'. (Currently: NRA News, NH Hunting News, and General Firearm News)

THe effect of this change will be:

• You will no longer see a 'New Messages' icon on the News board to show you that there are new messages there to be read.
  • Messages from these boards will not show up in the 'Recent Posts' list.
  • Messages from these boards will not show up when you click 'Show unread posts'.

You will still be able to read the various news postings, but you will have to manually go into that board to find and read the new messages.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:37:23 PM by Rich »

Offline Dave

• Board of Directors
  • Administrator
  • Marksman
I know this is an old posting, but I don't see an [Ignore Boards Options] selection in the [Profile] menu.  Has this changed?  Thanks!
IDPA Member & Safety Officer
NRA Endowment Life Member & Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home
GD-OTS Simunition Scenario Instructor & Safety Officer

Offline Rich

• Administrator
  • Marksman
Check in [Profile] then click [Account Settings] and look on the left for the [Ignore Boards] menu.

Offline Dave

• Board of Directors
  • Administrator
  • Marksman
It may be a browser specific thing, but I found it under [Profile] [Account Settings] [Modify Profile] [Ignore Boards Options].  It was in the drop down menu list, not on the left of the page.  Anyway, I found it.  Thanks!
IDPA Member & Safety Officer
NRA Endowment Life Member & Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home
GD-OTS Simunition Scenario Instructor & Safety Officer

Offline Rich

• Administrator
  • Marksman
I'm glad you found it! :)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
  • Marksman
When you click on the [Profile] menu, you may see a little double arrow, either on the left  or the right    of your screen, which will change how the menus look.
As a personal preference, I have my menus on the left.
Sorry if this caused any confusion with my instructions.

pin
anything